Re: LS static & Dynamic

From: Magnus Berg (McMagnus@hem2.passagen.se)
Date: Tue May 04 1999 - 15:39:48 BST

Hi Roger, David and Squad

> [Rog]If I wanted to "go to DQ", which direction should I head?

You should go in a non-direction, like Monty Python's 100m for people with
no sense of direction.

Everyone is talking about "things" being more or less DQ, but it all becomes
much easier if we talk about patterns vs. non-patterns. Those terms are per
definition opposites and easier not to confuse.

When we point at a thing, say a radio, we don't just mean the static patterns
of the radio, but also its dynamic qualities. It might break, bad reception
causes noise, etc. All such dynamic aspects are also part of what it is like
to be a radio.

> If patterns are derived from DQ, how can they go to DQ?

I wouldn't say patterns are derived from DQ, rather created by DQ. That is,
another thing was unpatterned enough to change to a completely new thing.
The old thing might die doing it though.

> Can a pattern refuse to go to DQ?

Yes, Pirsig calls it stagnation.

> [David] Finally, I think its important to remember that all these
> distinctions and definitions are just intellectual models of reality and
> the map should not be mistaken for the road.

My apologies but I really dislike these kinds of "escapes" from discussions
about reality. It's as if you think you can take a step back from reality
and look at it through some kind of meta metaphysics of maps vs. roads.

You say we are "just" discussing intellectual models of reality, but those
models are also real, right?

Don't get me wrong David, I basically agree with most of what you're
saying. I just urge you to go all the way.

Roger said something along the same lines the other day:
"DQ is the real terrain, and sq is a conceptual map of this reality."

And from this post:
> [Rog] I really like the way you explained it here. DQ is the name we have
> given to the true Quality, and sq is the divided illusion of quality.

Ouch! This sounds like DQ = matter and SQ = mind to me, or what's the
difference?

        Magnus

MOQ Online - http://www.moq.org