Re: MD MOQ DQ SQ Awareness

From: Scott Roberts (jse885@earthlink.net)
Date: Sun Oct 03 2004 - 17:16:03 BST

    David M,

    Notice that you start with one question (how do we describe awareness) but
    then you drop that question entirely when you get into cataloguing
    patterns. Cataloging patterns is a good thing to do, but it cannot help in
    answering the original question.

    My answer is that one cannot describe awareness, no more than one can
    describe Quality. What one can do is point out general forms in which
    awareness and value occurs. You proceed with some, Mel has proceeded with
    others (his creations of empty space and so on). While interesting, I find
    these to have started one or two steps too far. The more basic patterns, in
    my opinion, can be found in Peirce's phenomenology (his categories of
    Firstness, Secondness, and Thirdness), and in the logic of contradictory
    identity. (I've mentioned the latter many times, and I'm in the middle of
    descrbing the former in a response to the paper that Ant just put on his
    website.)

    On what you say, though, are you saying that inanimate implies non-aware?
    If you are, then you are in trouble, since now you must explain what it is
    about animate patterns systems that *produces* awareness, and I don't think
    there can be any such explanation.

    - Scott

    And