Re: MD On Faith

From: Platt Holden (pholden@sc.rr.com)
Date: Fri Oct 15 2004 - 13:40:32 BST

    Hi Horse,

    You wrote:
    > I am saying here that what I think will eventually change is the dominance
    > of Materialism in Science, not that that Science will eventually explain
    > phenomena beyond the merely physical. It might do but to say that would be
    > faith, as you correctly point out. Once the dominance of Materialism fades,
    > as it hopefully will, Science will need to look elsewhere for it's
    > metaphysical underpinning. If any new foundation doesn't include an
    > acceptance of Value (preferably in the MOQ sense) then Science will
    > probably remain stuck at the physical level.

    Well said! My way of expressing it is that the dominance of materialism in
    science is a matter of faith and needs to be changed to a faith in values
    as the underpinning for explaining observational phenomena. Quantum
    particles appear and disappear seemingly at random because they value that
    sort of behavior for reasons of their own.

    Best,
    Platt