Re: MD New Level of Thinking

From: Ian Glendinning (ian@psybertron.org)
Date: Wed Dec 01 2004 - 19:55:25 GMT

    Platt,

    My purpose
    I do have a purpose corresponding on the board.
    In short it's to establish in my own small (but grandiose) way, MoQ as a
    useful basis from which to synthesise a better world.
    What I find an unexpected amount of time doing is defending it from
    absolutists of one kind or another, whereas I had expected to be amongst MoQ
    friends with similar aspirations to build on it rather than undermine and
    knock it down.

    My last word (in terms of bothering to argue with you in particular)
    You cite a large RMP quote presumably to demonstrate to me that he was no
    pragmatist - though god knows why you would want to do that. In that massive
    quote it is the idea of "satisfaction ALONE" (ie in the absence of the MoQ)
    that is dangerous.

    Where I come from any one thing alone is a dangerous thing.
    Any binary debates between any two things alone is a dangerous thing.

    Whether you (or he) like the label "pragmatist" he is pragmatic, and he is
    also synthetic - building something more that the sum of the parts at his
    disposal. I don't want to argue the label - just agree that it is useful to
    be constructive.

    Its more constructive to ask questions that have useful answers, than to
    constantly ask the unanswerable.

    Now. Your purpose ?

    Ian