Re: MD Is the MoQ still in the Kantosphere?

From: Mark Steven Heyman (markheyman@infoproconsulting.com)
Date: Sat Dec 25 2004 - 14:55:29 GMT

    Sam and DMB,

    On 25 Dec 2004 at 12:36, Sam Norton wrote:

    dmb was stunned:
    Argument to authority? Huh? As I understand it, you're trying to hang
    Schleiermacher around the neck of philosophical mysticism by tracing
    a line from him to the MOQ. And yet he is conspicuously absent <snip
    some stuff indicating Schleiermacher is mystical small fry...>

    Sam:
    Here I want to appeal to the referee, because I have consistently
    asked DMB to read outside his usual field. Most particularly, I would
    like you to read Grace Jantzen's book, which I've referred to
    consistently. (Hey, if you let me have your snail mail address, I
    will buy it for you - ... Just give it a look, please, please,
    please - it'll help us hugely, I'm sure.)

    the ref:
    Well, I certainly vouch for Sam's frequent recommendation of
    Jantzen's book; and since he's all but put the book at DMB's
    fingertips, it seems fair enough to ask for a glance, at least.

    However, this dispute sort of revisits our previous discussion about
    when to assign homework. I thought we were going to present our
    ideas in our own words and offer suggested references afterwards, or
    when challenged for expert opinion.

    However, however, this point of contention, that there's a
    connection between Schleiermacher ideas and the MOQ, seems important
    enough to warrant a little additional background reading, IMO. And
    it sounds as though DMB is kind of asking for authority in this case.

    A final point from the referree: Whether or not someone has
    appropriate philosophical "credentials" is (or should be) irrelevant
    to the value of his or her ideas. You won't find Pirsig (or Sam or
    DMB, or MSH) listed in any Encyclopedia of Philosophy.

    Best to all,
    Mark Steven Heyman (msh)
    --
    InfoPro Consulting - The Professional Information Processors
    Custom Software Solutions for Windows, PDAs, and the Web Since 1983

    "The shadows that a swinging lamp will throw,
            We come from nowhere and to nothing go."