Re: MD Is the MoQ still in the Kantosphere?

From: Sam Norton (elizaphanian@kohath.wanadoo.co.uk)
Date: Mon Dec 27 2004 - 11:47:19 GMT

    Hey MSH,

    Even if DMB has sacked you, I haven't. I wanted DMB to recapitulate in simple terms what he thinks
    'non-traditional mysticism' is - because he's recently brought in a lot of different vocabulary to
    our discussions (jnani/bhakti; devotional/non-devotional etc). If he's arguing that non-devotional
    mysticism is in fact philosophical mysticism, great, that gets us somewhere, but is he? Is he
    prepared to stick to that argument, or is he going to avoid it? (Because it's going to be quite
    straightforward to show that philosophical mysticism has its own forms of devotion). So the specific
    question for you is: am I wrong to ask for a short and straightforward account of what he means
    (like 20 words or less)? I just think DMB spins a bit of a web with all his rhetoric, and you get
    caught up in it because he's so fluent, and you end up losing sight of what you're arguing about.
    Specifically, he's always accusing me of being slippery, but it seems to me that DMB is highly
    resistant to having his understanding pinned down (believe me, I've tried to pin his understanding
    down for about three years now, and it keeps moving). Perhaps he's taking refuge in the ineffability
    of his own experience, but I don't think that's legitimate, because if that's all there is to it,
    why doesn't he just say 'this is what I have found to be of Quality, and that's all there is to it'?

    So I want to keep you on as a ref, simply because otherwise DMB will be able to slip away from being
    pinned down to a position, and be able to hide behind his rhetoric and claim that *I'm* the one not
    being straight in this discussion.

    By the way, have you read Heinlein's 'Stranger in a Strange Land'?

    Ta
    Sam