Re: MD "Is there anything out there?"

From: Ian Glendinning (ian@psybertron.org)
Date: Fri Dec 31 2004 - 10:47:46 GMT

    Paul, just picking up on one core point in here ...

    You said ..
    "Well, I would say it's intellect that constructs external reality. If you
    feel the need to divorce imagination from rationality then go ahead."

    ie "Intellect Constructs External Reality" you say.
    Before the pedants pick you up on the logic of that axiomatic statement,
    could I just unpick your intended meaning ?
    I see two extreme interpretations one of which I consider true, and one
    which I believe could possibly be shown to be true.

    (1)
    Intellect (as in the higher order mind functions of "intelligent beings"
    like humans, from which emerge the socio-intellectual patterns of behaviour)
    Constructs (as in creates the only useful interpretation of)
    External Rationality (the intellect can ever know, even if "external
    rationality" actually does exist "out there")
    This I agree with.

    (2)
    Intellect (as in some transcendant concept of consciousness)
    Constructs (as in the stuff all existence is made of, in some fundamental
    way)
    External Reality (which independantly really exists "out there").
    This I suspect could turn out to be true, and in fact the intellects of (1)
    and (2) may even interact, but since we may possibly only ever see it
    through interpretation (1) it might be forever irrelevant. (But I'm not
    sure. It is this "intellect" or super-consciousness which I see as prone to
    god-like metaphors, which are understandable, even useful, provided people
    don't then mis-athropomorphise them into some super-being with a mind with
    intent and purpose, etc, in order to explain the teleological reason "why"
    anything.)

    One thing I'm in sure agreement over is that anyone who thinks they can
    divorce reality from intellectual constructs (imagination) is doomed to a
    sad, frustrating and tautological quest, (beyond the inherent interest of
    pure though experiments.)

    Ian.