Re: MD the ideology of capitalism - the Ayn Rand question

From: Mark Steven Heyman (markheyman@infoproconsulting.com)
Date: Tue May 10 2005 - 03:46:51 BST

    Hi Sam,

    I see you've given a lot of to this thread, but I think we're sort of
    talking past one another, at least as far as the Ayn Rand question.

    First, I understand that Rand did not use the word "selfish" in the
    normal way. I also believe that her ethical ideas have been
    carefully developed over 45 years to give the impression that
    Objectivists really do believe that it is wrong to sacrifice others
    for oneself. I'm saying that Objectivists who embrace unregulated
    capitalism (which is their goddamn raisin deeter after all) are
    either hypocrites or oblivious to the realities of unregulated
    capitalism. That is, they are either lying or stupid. To prove this,
    all I need to do is show that capitalism REQUIRES the sacrifice of
    many for the benefit of a few. That's what I hoped to work on in the
    pre-Rand version of this thread.

    Second, I know you see similarities between Objectivism and the idea
    of a fully-realized human being, and there are some. But the two
    systems cannot possibly be identical because of one very important
    fact: Objectivists see individuals as absolutely distinct from one
    another; the FRH understands that all humans share a common humanity,
    and that any perceived difference between individuals is a cultural
    illusion. Here are three paragraphs I just today received by email,
    which beautifully describe the idea of a fully-realized human being:

    "A human being is a part of the whole, called by us, "Universe," a
    part limited in time and space. He experiences himself, his thoughts
    and feelings as something separated from the rest -- a kind of
    optical delusion of his consciousness.

    "This delusion is a kind of prison for us, restricting us to our
    personal desires and to affection for a few persons nearest to us.
    Our task must be to free ourselves from this prison by widening our
    circle of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole of
    nature in its beauty.

    "Nobody is able to achieve this completely, but the striving for such
    achievement is in itself a part of the liberation and a foundation
    for inner security." - Albert Einstein

    Now, if we keep this quote in mind every time I speak of a fully-
    realized human being, we can get Rand and the Objectivists out of the
    picture and give this thread some legs. However, since you took some
    time in presenting your defense of Rand, I will make a few comments
    below.