Re: MD Consciousness/MOQ, definition of

From: Scott Roberts (jse885@cox.net)
Date: Thu Sep 01 2005 - 22:30:21 BST

    Dav,

    This has long been one of my complaints about the MOQ. The questions of
    consciousness and how thoughts arise are simply not addressed. It could be
    argued that in LILA, Pirsig had other fish to fry, in particular giving an
    account of morality, and it makes sense that in the space of that book there
    would be metaphysical issues he would have to leave out. But as far as I can
    see there is little way to use what is in the MOQ to address the questions
    you raise.

    My own view (which is not generally accepted here) is that to speak of value
    is to speak of consciousness (awareness of value). Since, according to the
    MOQ, there is value at all levels, so must there be consciousness at all
    levels. In other words, consciousness did not arise at some point in time,
    and the idea that consciousness is a consequence of the nervous system
    reaching some level of complexity is just a materialist error.

    - Scott