Re: MD Metaphysics of Quality: An oxymoron?

From: Paul Turner (pauljturner@yahoo.co.uk)
Date: Sat Apr 19 2003 - 11:03:01 BST

    Hi Wim

    Thanks for reminding me of the passages in Lila, I now
    recall Pirsig's description of mysticism. What I have
    in mind is something less 'exceptional' and resulting
    from practice but more 'natural' and sustained.

    Is the natural activity of the mind to react to
    'existential doubt' by finding and clinging to
    patterns of thought? Or has it developed that way as
    an evolutionary dead end, although once useful? Has
    thought, once useful simply to survive, been applied
    to the wrong purpose? Perhaps metaphysics, as an
    attempt to say something about 'all' is simply beyond
    the reach of the part of mind we call the intellect.
    The whole history of metaphysics can be seen as the
    struggle of abstract thought against degeneracy and
    it's collapse as a platform from which the moral
    activity of mankind can spring.

    My point is, does the moral activity of mankind need a
    platform of abstract thought to spring from when the
    activity of the rest of the universe 'appears' to
    spring from something else (ok, speculation), which
    Pirsig would call Dynamic Quality? Have we forgotten
    that our minds are abstractions?

    In terms of the 'code of Art', I'll need to read again
    what Pirsig says but I seem to remember this was
    something he didn't cover in depth? Art as a dynamic
    state (another oxymoron?) of mind from which moral
    activity emerges sounds like what is in my mind.

    Thanks

    Paul

    Yahoo! Plus
    For a better Internet experience