RE: MD Pirsig, Falck, and Wolfram

From: Ian Glendinning (ian@psybertron.org)
Date: Sat Aug 16 2003 - 22:38:52 BST

    Lars,

    You said (quoting Stephen Wolfram's ANKOS)
    thought, will and intentionality may be present in all aspects of the
    universe

    All I add is ... all aspects of the universe ... "that we can know about".
    Any other aspects are (pragmatically speaking) irrelevant.

    To be fair, I have scan-read ANKOS dozens of times in Borders et al. Wolfram
    has intrigued me, but I've never quite bought him.
    A bit like Pirsig, it's clear that though he is probably pretty close to
    some kind of truth, he's not actually all that original.
    For Myth, Truth (and Literature) I recommend Lakoff (or Dupuy) (or Rorty if
    you prefer).
    I shall seek out and read Falck based on your suggestion.

    MOQ compatible ?
    I believe so - if you avoid the more absolutist interpretations of Pisrig.
    (Absolutely) nothing new under the sun. Ever.

    Ian Glendinning