Re: MD liberals, conservatives & suffering

From: August West (augustwestd@yahoo.com)
Date: Thu Aug 21 2003 - 18:48:09 BST

    All,

    This is my first post in a while, I enjoyed a
    wonderful summer following the Grateful Dead across
    America, but down to buisness.

    I think that there is a big assumption being taken
    here; that consevatives and liberals care about
    lessening my suffering beyond making sure I have my
    basic needs.

    ...America, and every other country in the world, are
    STATIST.

    Hitting the world trade center in NYC or the pentagon
    in DC with planes didn't make Afghanistan a safer
    place. Bombing Afghanistan doesn't make the USA a
    safer place. Bombing Iraq didn't make the USA or the
    UN safer (see yesterday's newspaper). Bush's tax cut
    isn't helping the lower 85% of the income bracket, it
    isn't helping my state tax, and it isn't helping to
    save social security (which was one of his campain
    promises).

    I propose that conservatives and liberals don't try to
    stop suffering; rather they cause it and profit from
    it.

    The line between conservatives and liberals is nearly
    non existiant. Just look at how simmilar, in the last
    presidential election in the USA (2000) Bush's and
    Gore's pollitical platforms were. They agreed on what
    should be done about most issues. They told us what
    we wanted to hear. America, I think , is heading
    toward facism, there aren't two parties
    philosphically, as far as representivies in government
    go there is one, statism.

    I guess that they are both right:

    Conservatives are right: the suffering is caused
    internally. That is, the government & pop culture in
    America perpetuate fear and suffering. (good film on
    this; Bowling for Colombine, by Michael Moore.)

    Liberals are right: the suffering is external to the
    parties. That is, conservatives and liberals "walk on
    the higher plane".

    Poor Joe

    Serfdom hurts.

    "400 years and its the same, the same philosophy"
    -Bob Marley

    Thoughts?

    -August West