Re: MD MoQ platypuses

From: MATTHEW PAUL KUNDERT (mpkundert@students.wisc.edu)
Date: Sat Aug 23 2003 - 14:37:28 BST

    Because I feel like taking things out of context and commenting on them (like other people I know):

    Squonk said:
    Phaedrus was asked if he was teaching Quality. This made him reflect upon Quality and he discovered that it is primary reality. Subjects and objects then become aesthetic creations of the intellect. They are human inventions.

    Matt:
    Squonk says Pirsig "discovered" that Quality is the primary reality. This obfuscates an important point of Pirsig's, one that is brought out in both the new annotations ("'common sense' which is A SET OF IDEAS...") and in ZMM in both the "analogues on top of analogues" argument at the end and the "ghosts of rationality" argument in the beginning. Not only are subjects and object aesthetic creations of the intellect, human inventions, but so is the idea of Quality.

    "Laws of nature are human inventions, like ghosts. Laws of logic, of mathematics are also human inventions, like ghosts. The whole blessed thing is a human invention, including the idea that it isn't a human invention." (ZMM, p. 36)

    Pirsig myth number #1: Pirsig discovered Quality.

    I think pushed up against a wall, it is pretty clear that Pirsig's handed in his discoverty metaphors.

    Matt