RE: MD economics of want and greed 4

From: David Buchanan (DBuchanan@ClassicalRadio.org)
Date: Sat Aug 30 2003 - 21:45:53 BST

    Ian and all:

    -----Original Message-----
    From Ian:
    I've mentioned several places previously that Maslow (and later variations
    on his hierarchy of needs themes) was already very much at the back of my
    mind when I latched onto Pirsig's levels in the MoQ. (I think I must have
    scribbled Maslow in the margin of my copies of ZMM and Lila a dozen times).
    I hold a similar view of Pirsig that the actual levels chosen are only as
    absolute as the world-view you hold, but the Jungian framework is more than
    plausible, provided you're flexible about the motivations you attribute to
    specific layers. Maslow has been much criticised for some of his choices
    being a bit "middle-class professional", but others like Belbin, Argyris and
    Myers-Briggs show very similar hierarchies of traits for different
    populations.

    dmb says:
    In case you haven't already heard, Ken Wilber does some interesting work in
    evolutionary psychology. He incorporates Maslow and many others into a
    larger synthesis that resembles the MOQ. Or so it seems to me.

    1. Physiological - food, water, shelter, sex.
    2. Safety - feel free from immediate danger.
    3. Belongingness and love - belong to a group, close friends to confine
    with.
    4. Esteem - feeling of moving up in world, recognition, few doubts about
    self.
    5. Cognitive - learning for learning alone, contribute knowledge.
    6. Aesthetic - at peace, more curious about inner workings of all.
    7. Self-actualization - know exactly who you are, where you are going, and
    what you want to accomplish. A state of well-being.
    8. Self-transcendence - a transegoic (see Note below) level that emphasizes
    visionary intuition, altruism, and unity consciousness.