Re: MD Objectivity, Truth and the MOQ

From: Joe (jhmau@sbcglobal.net)
Date: Thu Feb 05 2004 - 22:02:17 GMT

    On 05 Feb 2004 3:41 AM Bo writes to Paul and All:

    Bo:
    OK, but it is hard to make this simple as I seem to be the only
    one (Mati exempted) to see that the MOQ rearranges
    EVERYTHING and leaves a new world in its wake. It requires a
    little juggling, but the important first step is to see that intellect is
    a static level and as blind to the Quality context as the rest of the
    levels.

    Hi Bo, Paul, and All:

    joe: i would like to muse about "the MOQ rearranges EVERYTHING"! LILA, An
    inquiry into Morals, a book written by R. Pirsig, is the start of the MOQ.
    ZMM laid the groundwork by exploring QUALITY, and comparing rhetoric and the
    dialectic. "Rhetoric 2, dialectic 0." A pitfall he explored, if a persopn
    places his knowledge of his existence outside the mythos, he is considered
    insane.

    A part of the mythos he was concerned with was Quality (freedom) and
    definition. 'God' was accepted by SOM as a word in the mythos that was both
    Quality and undefined. As a teacher in a state-run university, a part of
    the rhetoric he was reluctant to use was: 'God' or 'Gods'. There was
    something special about the word 'God' that made it unusable. IMO before
    MOQ 'God' is an unusable word since SOM viewed the apprehension of the
    existence of God through a 'mystical' knowledge.

    The entomology of the word 'mystic' is from the Greek word meaning 'an
    initiate'. IMO mystical knowledge implies that by training, directing my
    attention to specifics, I learn things I would not ordinarily apprehend.
    The training forces the learner to see new things. "The MOQ rearranges
    EVERYTHING" by preferring a mystical rhetoric to a reasonable dialectic. I
    agree.

    Bo:
    It requires a little juggling, but the important first step is to see that
    intellect is a static level and as blind to the Quality context as the rest
    of the levels.

    joe: IMO the mythos is known mystically. The training of education and
    ordinary life experiences force me to accept the mythos. I now have a basis
    for my being and my actions.

    IMO "An inquiry into Morals" is outside the mythos. In the MOQ I accept the
    inorganic, organic, social, and intellectual orders not by any mystic
    initiation, but in some other way. The dividing line between the orders is
    Dynamic Quality. I see that "intellect is a static level" when speaking of
    the intellectual order. IMO the MOQ accepts that when I apprehend the
    dividing line between the moral orders, I know the Quality of intellect, of
    social, of organic, of inorganic value in a moral hiearchy. I can see the
    dividing line as S/O, but I am not "blind to the Quality context." The
    questions I have: Does limitation equal definition? No! Does value limit
    Quality? Yes!

    Depending upon how I view evolution from an inorganic order, to an organic
    order, to a social order, to an intellectual order, to self-awareness, will
    determine where I place 'self-awareness'. IMO I consider self-awareness' a
    planetary (the inorganic order) emanation. If I travel beyond the universe,
    my self-awareness apprehends a different emanation.

    Joe