Re: MD What is the role of SO divide in MOQ?

From: David MOREY (us@divadeus.freeserve.co.uk)
Date: Thu Feb 12 2004 - 19:46:40 GMT

    Hi Bo

    I have switched to the discuss because we have gone
    off subject I feel, unless you describe this discussion as
    an example of changing the MOQ. Overall I feel that
    your concern really is about the extent of the role of
    the SO divide in the world as experienced via an MOQ
    approach. I certainly agree that whatever is useful in the SOM
    can be retained in the MOQ, but I see no problem with changing
    the language of SOM and even dropping subject and object entirely.
    As a philosophy student of 20 years this appeals to me because I am
    very aware of the SOM limitations, all around the uses of the subjects
    and objects language. I started off in the philosophy and history of
    science,
    spent many many years reading high German idealism, moving on to
    phenomenology
    and existentialism and getting a grip on post-modernism on the way.
    I wish I could use the language of those disciplines to deal with your
    questions/
    problems but I don't think you have the background. I really recommend you
    read
    something like theCambridge companion to Heidegger's that may just about be
    accessible and really does a good job at explaining Heidegger's overcoming
    of the dualist (SOM) tradition. It is a deeper argument than Pirsig's but on
    very similar
    lines. In the philosophy of science there is now a very strong recognition
    of the problematic
    nature of the ideas of laws and objects. This is due to the falling away of
    determinism,
    being simply wrong as Popper says, and the more process based conceptual
    approaches
    where identifying separate objects rather than systems seems wrong headed.
    Popper does seem to point the way forward in his essay on propensities that
    Anthony also
    refers to. The closeness of this notion to Pirsig's static patterns is quite
    clear.
    You appeal to reason, but I take science as being exemplary here, and
    science is having
    less and less use for SOM language and categories. Essentially, I do not see
    why reason
    would lose anything if we dropped the SOM concepts entirely. Heidegger's
    incredibly
    illuminating conception of what it is to be human aligns very closely with
    Pirsig's hints
    about the activities of DQ. In fact it gains significantly by overcoming the
    current blindspots
    of SOM. For further comments see below IN UPPER CASE:

    I think your fears are unfounded, at least in my conception of the MOQ.
    kind regards
    David M

    The SOM isn't mere materialism and the subject hasn't faded the
    least. It's the SCHISM itself, between mind and matter, psychic
    and physical, mental and corporeal, culture and nature ...etc. ad
    infinitum. ------------------------------------------------------------I
    KNOW THIS, OF COURSE, SOM IS NOT MATERIALISM BUT IT TENDS TO DETERIORATE
    INTO MATERIALSM -HISTORICALLY, AND IN POST-MODERNISM THE SO-CALLED DEATH OF
    THE SUBJECT MATCHES THIS, WHILST DERRIDA'S FAMOUS LITERARY FREEDOM IS A SORT
    OF DEMONSTRATION OF THE UN-PIN-DOWNABLE NATURE OF DQ

    > And it has produced a great deal of valuable knowledge up to the
    > point where it now seems to be a metaphysics creating unnecessary
    > limits and problems, despite still having some capacity to deliver
    > more knowledge.

    Total agreement. It's value is enormous.

    > Pirsig proposes we adopt a quality matephysics instead with
    > a different SQ/DQ divide where we recognise the underlying union of
    > the two in Quality.

    If "the two" are subject and object ...Yes.-------NO THE TWO I MEAN ARE
    DQ/SQ, BUT S/O & EVERYTHING ELSE IS UNDIFFERENTIATED IN QUALITY EXPERIENCE

    > This different divide enables us to look at all
    > those aspects of SQ that under SOM would fall into the subject and
    > be ignored.

    Hmmm...let me see how you continue.

    > It also enables us to open up a clear site where DQ is active
    > in its pretty undefinable way, allowing us to recognise DQ and not
    > think we can describe a total world of objects and nothing but
    > material objects.

    More ..hmmm.

    > Now this SQ/DQ devide has no effect on
    > science/knowledge as Pirsig says, we just get a different conception
    > of what we mean by causality and objects.

    OK, the Quality view has no effect on the "readings of
    instruments" different from those in the SOM view ... as Pirsig
    says. -------------------------------------------------------------OR ON
    ANYTHING ELSE EITHER,
    CAUSALITY REMAINS BUT WITHOUT EXPECTATIONS OF ALL PATTERNS RESEMBLING THOSE
    OF MECHANISMS, PATTERNS REPLACE OBJECTS,

    > So Bo where is the value of
    > SO divide here, do we need it?

    Brace yourself for an explanation.

    First my opinion what's wrong in the "orthodox" view where SOM
    is regarded a bad (NOT BAD, LIMITED, AS PERHAPS MOQ
    WILL BE SOME TIME, IT LEADS TO TECHNOLOGICAL
    DISASTER AS HEIDEGGER WARNED) intellectual pattern
    to be replaced by the MOQ.
    In this view the S/O can't be retained, it's dead and gone,
    ------------------------------------(IT WILL ALWAYS BE PART OF OUR HISTORY
    AND
    ------------------------------------ITS FRUITS WILL REMAIN WITH US,
    -----------------------------------LIKE GREAT TECHNOLGICAL POWER &
    PRODUCTIVITY)
    and it's here my "holy wrath" has its origin ;-) We can't allow REASON to
    perish ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    -------(WHY WOULD IT?),
     and don't give me that it can live down below somewhere!
    As SOM it is thrown out in the metaphysical trash can.

    Thus everything depends on seeing the intellectual level as the
    S/O schism - all of it, every last bit. In its context intellect
    becomes the VALUE of the S/O while the metaphysical 'M' is ----------THERE
    IS NO REASON TO STOP USING
    taken over by MOQ which has moved beyond intellect. Do you ---------S/O
    DIVIDE WHERE IT IS USEFUL
    see the idea of this shuffle? Before, as SOM, the schism was - ----------DO
    YOU HAVE ANY SPECIFIC EXAMPLES
    well - metaphysical: As the world had been assembled "from the
    factory". As a static level we can use all the S/O dichotomies with
    great ease (BTW can we avoid it?).

    The physical sciences need not create any new cumbersome "B ----POPPER
    EXPLAINS IN HIS ESSAY ON
    values A" causation (are there anyone who thinks this
    ossible?) -----PROPENSITIES WHY THE PUSH NOTION
    the metaphysical riddle is solved at the plane it belongs and not -----OF
    CAUSALITY IS WRONG
    in laboratories or auditoriums. I could go on about how - in the
    said orthodox view - it is impossible to rid the MOQ of the
    Rortyan "intersubjetivity" accusation, while the SOL frees it of
    it ----------DON'T SEE WHY, THE MOQ HAS
    ...but this is
    h ----------------------------------------------POTENTIALLY THE SAME
    STATUS
    ---------------------------------------------SOM ONCE HAD, STILL HAS EVEN,
    AS METAPHYSICAL BASIS
    ----------------------------------------------------FOR ALL OUR HUMAN
    CONCEPTIONS AND ACTIVITIES

    > I think it has had a great historic
    > value and influence (up to here I think I agree with you) but is now
    > superseded by MOQ.

    Yes, it is superseded, but everything is about HOW it is
    superseded and I believe the above answers it.-----------------I DO NOT
    SHARE YOUR FEARS, I CANNOT SEE
    -----------------------------------------------------------------THAT WE
    LOSE ANYTHING, WE ONLY SHAKE
    --------------------------------------------------------------OFF SOM
    LIMITATIONS

    > In the MOQ the subject-object distinction melts
    > away, everything falls into our different level patterns inorganic,
    > organic, social structures, structures within the individual,
    > cultural structures, etc.

    The subject/object distinction must not be allowed to "melt away",
    merely to lose its metaphysical quality (YES/NO THE BIG THING IS TO LOSE THE
    'M'
    AND THIS WILL CAUSE MANY ASPECTS OF OUR CURRENT SOM THINKING TO MELT AWAY,
    PERHAPS YOU UNDER-ESTIMATE THE IMPLICATIONS -READ HEIDEGGER!). Pirsig says
    so too, but his

    way of retaining it (inorg.+bio.=objects/socio.+intell.=subjects) -----THIS
    IS ONLY SAYING HOW HIS LEVELS
    LOOK COMPARED TO SOM, HE IS NOT ADVOCATING USING SOM THIS WAY, AS THESE ARE
    ALL STATIC LEVELS THIS POINTS OUT HOW THE LAST TWO LEVELS ARE STATIC AS WELL
    EVEN
    THOUGH THE SOM USES THE PROBLEMATIC 'SUBJECT' CONCEPTION WITH RESPECT TO
    THEM
    SEE THIS ESSAY TO UNDERSTAND THE PROBLEM IN SOCIOLOGY:

    http://assets.cambridge.org/0521791758/sample/0521791758WS.pdf

    does not - as said - save REASON as a static value, nor does it
    cover all aspects of the SOM. ------WHAT ASPECTS DOES IT NOT
    COVER!!!!!??? -THIS SEEMS ODD COMMENT.

    > As you can see I think we need more level complexity
    > than Pirsig suggests but I do not think that is a big deal, just
    > getting ontological levels going is the really important thing.

    The accusation against me is this Q-level I postulate, but I see
    the present static structure as perfect. What you mean by
    "ontological levels" isn't clear to me. ----------------------------THIS
    IS SO KEY TO PIRSIG,
    UNDER SOM WE GET DUALISM OR MATERIALISM OR IDEALISM (SUBJECTIVISM),
    PIRSIG SAYS NO, THERE IS DQ POURING OUT STATIC PATTERNS, THESE FORM
    INTO LEVELS, THESE LEVELS ARE ALSO QUALITY THEREFORE BASIC THEREFORE
    THEIR OWN ONTOLOGICAL LEVELS. I.E. NEW BEING OCCURS, THERE IS EMERGENCE
    IN THE COSMOS. DQ IS LIKE THE FLUX TO THE GREEKS, BUT PIRSIG SAYS NOT FLUX
    BUT A CREATIVE POURING FORTH OF STATIC PATTERNS TOO, AND THESE HAVE FULL
    ONTOLIGICAL STATUS, THE GREEKS TRIED TO SOLVE THE PATTERN PROBLEM WITH
    ANOTHER
    MORE REAL WORLD OF ARCHETYPES WHICH LATER WERE REPLACED IN OUR CULTURE
    BY LAWS AND SUBSTANCE, BUT WE CAN NO LONGER POINT TO ANYTHING THAT IS A
    SUBSTANCE NOW THAT MATERIALISM IS DEAD IN THE WATER

    Over
    > to you Bo.....If you are going to tell me that I am washing away
    > some great value in the SI (MISTYPE OF SO HERE) divide, I don't see it.
    Tell me what I
    > am losing, why I should be concerned.

    It's the S/O ...no? I believe I have harped enough on its value.
    To see it as some lesser intellectual "idea" ... in an idea-intellect..
    is my nightmare.

    INSTINCTS ARE OF GREAT USE BUT LIKE THEM SOM WILL
    BE SUPERSEDED BUT WILL EQUALLY NOT ENTIRELY DISAPPEAR

    Truly and sincerely
    Bo

    MOQ.ORG - http://www.moq.org
    Mail Archive - http://alt.venus.co.uk/hypermail/moq_focus/
    MF Queries - horse@darkstar.uk.net

    To unsubscribe from moq_focus follow the instructions at:
    http://www.moq.org/mf/subscribe.html