Re: MD What is the role of SO divide in MOQ?

From: Matt poot (mattpoot@hotmail.com)
Date: Thu Feb 12 2004 - 21:59:06 GMT

    Hello,

    I have been glancing over the previous thread, but never posted because I
    don't really know.
    However, after reading this post, it piqued my interest.

    David : I certainly agree that whatever is useful in the SOM
    can be retained in the MOQ, but I see no problem with changing
    the language of SOM and even dropping subject and object entirely.

    (>-POOT-<) I have been thinking a little over the past while, whether the
    'next step' would be to drop the S/O way of thinking. In ZMM, when pirsig
    'goes insane' (I would like to think of it as becoming sane, but I don't
    really know what he experienced), he says that he was thinking outside of
    _our_ mythos(S/O). After reading that, it made sense to me in an obvious
    way, but I was still not sure if this was the direction we must go.

    David:IT WILL ALWAYS BE PART OF OUR HISTORY
    AND ITS FRUITS WILL REMAIN WITH US, LIKE GREAT TECHNOLGICAL POWER &
    PRODUCTIVITY)

    -=*POOT*=- The way I have thought of this, is that the S/O mindset has been
    part of the process in the evolution towards a truly new manner of thinking.
      An analogy, could be that

    S/O = Neanderthal
    QualitySOM = Space race

    however, I have a question relating to that analogy.... Would the "next
    step" be just SOM, or some sort of MOQ-SOM? like SQ-DQ?

    However, doesn't Static Quality represent objects? Although it could
    represent 'truths'.
    Would DQ represent something like the 'subject' we know?

    What do you think?

    Poot

    P.S. Concerning my analogy, the reason I chose "Space race", is that I
    believe there has to be a fundamental change in thought, in order for
    mankind as a whole to be able to have a concerted effort to exploring the
    stars. I chose neanderthal, because right now, (and all of our past) we
    seem not to be concerned with progress, which would be a result of more
    awareness of quality, and MOQ, etc. But this is another topic altogether
    (hence the P.S)

    http://join.msn.com/?page=dept/bcomm&pgmarket=en-ca&RU=http%3a%2f%2fjoin.msn.com%2f%3fpage%3dmisc%2fspecialoffers%26pgmarket%3den-caat: Aug '98 - Oct '02 - http://alt.venus.co.uk/hypermail/moq_discuss/