OT Re: Legal actions [was MD Quality takes a hit]

From: Leland Jory (ljory@mts.net)
Date: Mon Mar 08 2004 - 13:50:51 GMT

    On Mar 7, 2004, at 21:18, steve wrote:

    > anybody
    > producing and selling an operating system better than windows.

    True, but there is something standing in the way of anybody making
    money in the process. It's called the monopoly that Microsoft has on
    the desktop market.

    > Infact there
    > are quite a few options available You can purchase and install on Your
    > computer either in addition to or to replace windows. The reason
    > windows is
    > so dominant is because it is an "open" system, meaning anyone can
    > produce
    > software or hardware compatible with windows without getting
    > permission from
    > or even contacting microsoft.

    You misuse the term "open". Windows is actually a very "closed" system,
    because the underlying code is not available for public perusal. Sure,
    you can write software for Windows, because Microsoft publishes certain
    Application Programming Interfaces (APIs) for developers to use.
    However, they keep the "best" APIs to themselves, so their own software
    can integrate more tightly with the OS.

    An OS company would be committing suicide if they released a completely
    closed OS (where developers would have to ask permission to write an
    app). That model is so far fetched as to be ludicrous.

    > It was the other manufacturers that tried to
    > capture the market by making brand specific products who lost out on
    > the
    > world because of their incompatability, not Microsofts. No I dont work
    > for
    > or am affiliated in any way . steve.

    Could have fooled me. BTW, most manufacturers use standards in their
    products while MS uses many proprietary formats, yet you call the other
    manufacturers the ones "incompatible". Hmm. For example, iTunes uses
    AAC as an audio codec (an open standard based on MP4) while MS uses
    Windows Media Audio (a closed, proprietary codec requiring the payment
    of licensing fees to MS).

    > P.S. Go buy Linux if you dont like windows.

    Not to start a flame war, but I'm a Mac user. :^{P>

    --
    Leland Jory :^{)>
    Cafeteria Spiritualist and Philosopher