Re: MD junk or politics on this list

From: Steve Peterson (peterson.steve@verizon.net)
Date: Mon Apr 05 2004 - 18:43:31 BST

    Hi Platt,

    You addressed:
    > Steve P.

    The one who signs Steve P has something like arborealman for his e-mail
    address. I've always just used "Steve" which has now gotten confusing
    especially since it seems arboreal Steve and I are both Steve P's. I'm
    not sure what to do.

    >> Do you support gay marriage?
    >
    > No.

    That's what I thought. Do you support a Constitutional amendment
    banning gay marriage?

    >> Where do you think the gay marriage issue fits
    >> in with the state versus individual war?
    >
    > The state isn't obligated to grant benefits to individuals whose
    > choice of
    > partners hinders procreation on which the state depends for its
    > survival.

    I'm not at all surprised by your view, but it seems contradictory to
    your claim of support for the individual over the collective. That's
    why I brought it up.

    You said: "The state wants its citizens to behave in certain,
    predictable ways by
    following its rituals, laws and mores. For the state to survive (or any
    group for that matter) it must lay down rules and practices governing
    relations among individuals in the group. Thus, the social level's
    highest
    morality is static conformity."

    I agree. A great example is society's disdain for homosexuality. The
    state would love to see nice ordered male/female roles and today we see
    the state trying to lay down rules and practices governing sexual
    relations to that end.

    You also said: "The individual by contrast, while recognizing the
    necessary role of the
    state, wants to be recognized as unique human being and not just another
    cog in a machine. She wants to be the means to her own ends, not the
    ends
    of others. Most of of all, she wants to be free to act and speak
    according
    to dictates of her own intellect, not the dictates of politically
    correct
    thought imposed by the state."

    Again, I strongly agree. The homosexual does not accept society's
    purpose for her of producing new citizens nor should any individual
    accept being the means to society's ends. She wants to be free to act
    and speak according to the dictates of her own intellect. I can
    understand that "the state isn't obligated to grant benefits to
    individuals whose choice of partners hinders procreation on which the
    state depends for its survival," but I don't see why individuals
    shouldn't support the state extending rights (actually, in this case,
    to not take away rights) to others since we both see rights as
    protections of the individual from the dictates imposed by the state.

    > Hope this answers your question. Note the lack of contortions to make
    > the
    > point. :-)

    Do you think that homosexuality is immoral?

    The simple answer that most conservatives give for this type of
    question is that it is simply wrong. It just is. Or that the Bible
    says it's wrong or my church says its wrong or God says it's wrong.
    These are simple uncontorted answers but their simplicity is their only
    virtue.

    Thanks,
    Steve Peterson