Re: MD SQ-SQ coherence and the Biosphere.

From: Platt Holden (pholden@sc.rr.com)
Date: Thu Apr 22 2004 - 14:17:11 BST

    Dear Wim,

    > You wrote 20 Apr 2004 12:25:02 -0400:
    > 'Pirsig attributes Quality (reality) to [consciousness], or at least
    > "direct experience" which, IMO, presumes consciousness.'
    >
    > Doesn't Pirsig's hot stove thgought experiment show that consciousness
    > follows direct Qualty experience? You react before you are aware.

    Perhaps we're having translation problems. I don't see how you can react
    to something in the environment if you are unconscious or unaware. Of
    course, you can react to something before you can verbalize the
    experience, before you can say, "I'm conscious" or even "Ouch." Direct
    experience (awareness, consciousness) comes prior to saying anything about
    it, or so Pirsig says.

    Best regards,
    Platt