Re: MD SQ-SQ coherence and the Biosphere.

From: Wim Nusselder (wim.nusselder@antenna.nl)
Date: Thu Apr 22 2004 - 22:17:43 BST

    Dear Platt,

    You wrote 22 Apr 2004 09:17:11 -0400:
    'I don't see how you can react to something in the environment if you are
    unconscious or unaware. ... Direct experience (awareness, consciousness)
    comes prior to saying anything about it, or so Pirsig says.'

    You CAN react to environmental stimuli when asleep! But more to the point of
    sorting out the relation between consciousness and direct experience/Quality
    may be what Pirsig wrote in chapter 29 of 'Lila':
    'In this basic flux of experience, the distinctions of reflective thought,
    such as those between consciousness and content, subject and object, mind
    and matter, have not yet emerged in the forms which we make them. Pure
    experience cannot be called either physical or psychical: it logically
    precedes this distinction.'

    Maybe it is definition problems ('consciousness' having several different
    meanings) rather than translation problems we are having?

    With friendly greetings,

    Wim