MD A question about beauty

From: Platt Holden (pholden@sc.rr.com)
Date: Thu Apr 22 2004 - 21:55:37 BST

    All,

    Many of you know of my passion for beauty. I know it when I see it, but
    for the life of me I cannot figure out what universal qualities are
    present in such disparate things as:

    -- a prize winning rose
    -- Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata
    -- Michelangelo's Pieta
    -- a Zen garden
    -- Milton's sonnet on blindness
    -- a fireworks display
    -- diamond glints on snow
    -- gentle autumn rain
    -- a baby's smile
    -- puppies playing in spring sunshine
    -- the lilt of a song

    I suspect the generic qualities of beauty have something to do with forms
    that occur on a deep level in the universe and in ourselves, but forms I'm
    unable to identify or describe other than to recognize them when they
    appear in various manifestations..

    Does the MOQ in any way suggest what the universal qualities of beauty
    might be?

    Thanks for your thoughts.

    Platt