Re: MD SQ-SQ coherence and the Biosphere.

From: Leland Jory (ljory@mts.net)
Date: Thu Apr 22 2004 - 14:13:17 BST

    On Apr 21, 2004, at 15:21, Wim Nusselder wrote:

    > [Platt] wrote 20 Apr 2004 12:25:02 -0400:
    > 'Pirsig attributes Quality (reality) to [consciousness], or at least
    > "direct
    > experience" which, IMO, presumes consciousness.'
    >
    > Doesn't Pirsig's hot stove thgought experiment show that consciousness
    > follows direct Qualty experience? You react before you are aware.

    I see many people put the cart before the horse in this way. I recently
    heard a question from a Christian (directed at non-believers) that
    basically asked where humanity's "moral sense" comes from if not God.
    The implication is that morality would have to be the result of
    humanity if not derived from a Creator. My reply is that humanity is
    the result of morality, not the other way around.

    Try to explain that to them, though. ;^{)>

    --
    Leland Jory :^{)>
    Cafeteria Spiritualist and Philosopher