Re: MD Religion of the future.

From: Joe (jhmau@sbcglobal.net)
Date: Fri Apr 30 2004 - 19:02:45 BST

    On 28 April 2004 8:28 PM storeyd writes:

    Dave:
    In the Preface to his "bible" (sex, ecology, spirituality), Wilber addresses
    the issue of this label, "metaphysics", and interestingly, he says almost
    exactly the same thing as pirsig, but in different words. he says that he
    assumes it will be charged that what he is trying to do is "metaphysics",
    and that critics will debunk his whole system based on the unstability of
    metaphysical foundations in general. Yet Wilber asserts quite boldly that
    if
    what he is doing is not based on direct, empircal experience, there is not a
    metaphysical sentence in the book. in short, both he and pirsig are
    resurrecting metaphysics on the basis of science (understood as an
    epistemological pluralism, where the bounds of the laboratory extend beyond
    the chemistry lab.

    Hi Dave, and all,

    joe: i am pleased to meet you Dave. Thank You! for your response.

    You will make no points by capilalizing Wilber's name and not pirsig's.

    I do not accept that MOQ is resurrecting metaphysics on the basis of science
    (understood as an epistemological pluralism, where the bounds of the
    laboratoiry extend beyond the chemistry lab.) Pirsig makes it very clear
    that Dynamic Quality is undefined. Dynamic Quallity, mystical experience,
    is manifest in MOQ. DQ is not an experience of 'epistemological pluralism'.

    I have aversion to the words of SOM based upon a split of 'existence' into
    intentional and real existence.

    Anyhow, just trying to spur you on to
    explore Wilber with the same spirit with which you embrace Pirsig; honestly
    i'd be interested to hear about any differences or inconsistencies you
    unearth. Best,
    -Dave

    joe: thank you! for your unbiased view as far as capitals go, I don't think
    a spur is necessary.

    Joe Maurer