Re: MD George Galloway & the Senate

From: Platt Holden (pholden@sc.rr.com)
Date: Fri May 20 2005 - 14:10:08 BST

    Hi Mike,

    > Just one thing to add on this issue. Has anyone else noticed the
    > indignation from many politicians towards Galloway's brazen RHETORICAL
    > skills? Perhaps they accuse him for not giving "straight answers" (i.e.
    > giving answers and then going on the offensive) because their own failings
    > as communicators have been exposed. Many of them rely on obfuscations;
    > lawyer-speak; a stream of all-but-meaningless words to put across weak
    > points. From their attitudes, it's clear to see that Galloway has exposed
    > many politicians as weak, spineless non-entities that have got politics
    > into the rut it's currently in. Just listen to the monotone, mumbling drawl
    > of Galloway's accuser as he lays out the charges. He rolls on and on, often
    > in rushed and incomprehensable fashion, without emphasising any salient
    > points. As Pirsig describes, the Socratic tradition has made rhetoric into
    > something to be frowned at, as if vital political issues should be
    > described in the lifeless, detached way that makes politics feel irrelevant
    > to large sections of the public.
    >
    > All politicians obfuscate in order to "cover their backs" at such hearings.
    > What many despise Galloway for is that he did it with passion, making
    > strong points, whereas the majority of politicians obfuscate by using
    > vague, all-but-meaningless legalese. If nothing else, I admire Galloway for
    > refusing to play that game.

    Hear, hear. We must be reading each other's minds. I had just finished
    sending off my post to Ant that included a line about my admiration of
    Galloway for showing up the Republican's lack of cohonies, when I opened
    this post from you. Of course, you expressed the whole enchilada much
    better than me. Thanks.

    Platt