MD Christopher Reeve

From: Ascmjk@aol.com
Date: Mon Oct 11 2004 - 16:43:51 BST

    As we mourn the passing of Christopher Reeve, perhaps the situation he
    endured is one that should be considered by us. His Biological Quality was almost
    completely taken from him 10 years ago. Loss of freedom, indeed. Pirsig writes,
    in a passage I'm not sure how I feel about, that no chains are as horrible as
    our biological ones. Christopher Reeve probably would not have agreed. He
    wanted those chains back, in a sense. Take away our bodies or take away our
    societies, and many of us would spend the rest of our lives trying to get them back.
    Does refusal to give up movement--make one "conservative"? Or refusal to give
    up the things that makes societies strong? Pride in your body, pride in your
    country. Quality.

    Chris Reeve refused to submit to the patterns his body and society
    overwhelmingly imposed upon him. He was a rebel until the end, and he was a hero.

    Jon