Re: MD New Level of Thinking

From: Ian Glendinning (ian@psybertron.org)
Date: Wed Dec 01 2004 - 15:43:14 GMT

    Aaaagghh
    Why do you (appear to) deliberately misinterpret every point Platt.

    What disturbs me is the asking of the question "why?"
    The question doesn't interest me in the least, as long as I haved a credible
    "explanation of how", useful for predicting and modelling life's difficult
    decisions - so far I've never been disappointed, and it's not for want of
    looking far and wide.

    Q Why XYZ ?
    A There is no "purpose" why anything, so why (rhetorically) keep asking the
    damn question.

    Q Could you explain how XYZ ?
    A Certainly, I'm glad you asked me that, that's a useful question (I'm a
    pragmatist like that RMP fella, you may have heard of him)I'm not sure if I
    know the whole story, but IMHO FWIW it's like this ... What do you think ?
    Etc.

    Dialogue and narrative rather than sterile dead-end.

    If you keep asking (the intentional, teleological) "why", you'll continue to
    be bewildered (and bewildering to me) Platt.
    I'm alright Jack.

    (The rest of your quotes we'll just argue semantics about the word why in
    the context used ... so I'll not bother. The very word "why" is rendered
    worthless - all part of the Catch-22 we live in.)

    Ian.