Re: MD Is Morality Relative?

From: Ian Glendinning (ian@psybertron.org)
Date: Wed Dec 01 2004 - 15:13:00 GMT

    Platt, you seem to be just playing around with semantics here ...

    "If the MOQ champions individual autonomy, it appears the MOQ supports the
    basic thrust of Ayn Rand's virtue of selfishness."
    Yeah, right !?! Clearly it does not suport "absolute" autonomy, just
    individual autonomy within the constraints of its own MoQ framework. Ayn
    Rand wouldn't recognise the MoQ if she tripped over it.

    "I see a host of moral absolutes in the Unitarian minister's sermon, such
    as -- moral decisions should serve the good of humanity.... etc etc ..."
    How in anybody's language is that "absolute". You've just shifted the
    definition of "moral" (absolute or relative) to the definition of "good"
    (absolute or relative). The minister is simply begging (or leading up to)
    the question of "So, what is the good of humanity" Exactly, that is EXACTLY,
    as RMP did, in the quote Chin and Ham refer to, amongst other places.

    Surely we MoQ'ers have a working basis for evaluating relative good,
    morality, quality.
    I do wonder at the motives in your arguments.

    Ian