Re: MD Is Morality Relative?

From: Mark Steven Heyman (markheyman@infoproconsulting.com)
Date: Mon Dec 06 2004 - 01:55:38 GMT

    On 5 Dec 2004 at 19:43, Platt Holden wrote:
    Will someone please explain why the word "absolute" is considered to
    be anathema?

    msh says:
    It's not to me, and never has been. I do recall, however, exchanging
    a few posts with you, several months back, where you spent some time
    arguing that there is no such thing as absolute truth.

    My arguments in return were very similar, in some cases identical, to
    what you are now trying to explain to Erin. So, my friend, I'm happy
    to say you have come a long way, and I'm thrilled to have accelerated
    your epistemological journey. Where do I send the bill? :-)

    Some more absolutely true statements:

    1) The universe may or may not be deterministic, but no one who wears
    a seat belt believes that it is.

    2) There may or may not be absolute truth, but anyone who tries to
    explain that there isn't, doesn't believe what he is saying.

    Best to all,

    Mark Steven Heyman (msh)
    --
    InfoPro Consulting - The Professional Information Processors
    Custom Software Solutions for Windows, PDAs, and the Web Since 1983

    "Thought is only a flash between two long nights, but this flash is
    everything." -- Henri Poincare'