RE: MD Making sense of it (levels)

From: Matt the Enraged Endorphin (mpkundert@students.wisc.edu)
Date: Sun Feb 02 2003 - 18:30:01 GMT

    Platt,

    Platt said:
    Descartes sought and found a place where he could put his foot down and
    say, "Regardless of the context, practicality or belief of the group, this I
    know to be true." In effect he said, "The buck stops here." Compare this
    to postmodern philosophy where there are no footholds on the slippery
    slopes of text, utility and fashion.

    Matt:
    Indeed, the above summation of Descartes' project is pretty good. It is
    something I think Pirsig is quite ambivalent about following in.
    Regardless, though, the pragmatist line I've been developing doesn't say
    that their are no footholds. It says that the only footholds we have are
    our contingent pasts, our current context, our current static patterns. We
    are not floating free in space, we are climbing up ladders and then
    discarding them when we don't need them anymore, we are jumping from island
    to island, we are trying to find that next static latch.

    Matt