Re: MD awareness hierarchy?

From: Steve Peterson (peterson.steve@verizon.net)
Date: Thu Apr 24 2003 - 21:18:35 BST

    Wim, Platt:

    Wim said:
    > If I formalize and reformulate a bit (I hope not beyond what you would agree
    > with), it becomes:
    > Every entity is aware of the forces operating at the level below the level
    > whose laws it follows. An inorganic entity is unaware of inorganic forces,
    > so follows inorganic laws. A biological entity is aware of inorganic forces
    > (and tries to avoid regression to that level), but unaware of biological
    > forces, so follows biological laws. A social entity (hominids, maybe some
    > animals) is aware of inorganic and biological forces (and tries to avoid
    > regression to these levels), but unaware of social forces, so follows social
    > laws. An intellectual entity (a member of homo sapiens) is aware of
    > inorganic, biological and social forces, but unaware of intellectual forces,
    > so follows intellectual laws.

    Steve:
    That sounds like a correct summary of what I was saying.

    Wim:
    > I run into problems with your last paragraph (as quoted above) though: At
    > what level does this 'intellectually aware person' of yours follow laws?

    Steve:
    Perhaps, this level is the level on which one searches for the "ghost of
    reason" as Phaedrus did in ZAMM. Would this be a "trans-rational" level?

    Perhaps there are no static patterns to follow on this level, yet.

    Do you see the MOQ as "trans-rational"?

    > Do we need this concept of 'awareness'? Couldn't we write instead that
    > entities behave morally at the highest level in which they participate, i.e.
    > at the level in the static pattterns of value of which they are elements?

    No, I suppose we don't, and yes, we could. (see below)

    Platt said:
    > I'm not sure where this is leading. Does it explain behavior that
    > otherwise can't be? Some examples from everyday life would help.

    Steve:
    You may be giving me too much credit to think I'd be leading somewhere. I
    thought that I may have had an insight into Johnny's philosophy of
    expectation but apparently I didn't, since he didn't comment.

    I also was interested in what you might say about one who is aware of
    intellectual patterns. I had the same question as Wim. On what level would
    that person be on?

    Thirdly, I was interested in awareness because I was trying to understand
    the Quality Event. (See new thread)

    Thanks,
    Steve