MD metaphysics of morality

From: Wim Nusselder (wim.nusselder@antenna.nl)
Date: Fri Apr 02 2004 - 07:03:41 BST

    Dear Calvin,

    I asked 1 Apr 2004 08:10:36 +0200:
    'In what way is this 'personal metaphysics of morality' you are working on
    (31 Mar 2004 18:30:32 -0500) different from the MoQ?'

    You answered 1 Apr 2004 19:03:47 -0500:
    'my metaphysics of morality differs from the MoQ in that i'm not attempting
    to define (or re-define) reality, i am simply trying to understand and
    explain what makes us act, or "tick", trying to discover where and in which
    part of the brain morality lies, and if it exists; what the difference
    between societal and individual morality is, etc'

    If you don't attempt to define/re-define reality (not even as equalling our
    quality/moral perceptions, like the MoQ), maybe you'd better not call it a
    'metaphysics'. It does matter what something is called in communication.

    Your questions, 'where and in which part of the brain morality lies, and if
    it exists; what the difference between societal and individual morality is'
    presuppose the brain to be the place where 'morality' exists (if it exists)
    and presuppose a split (societal/individual) even before you know whether it
    exists. If 'metaphysics' has any meaning, it should at least question one's
    presumptions.

    With friendly greetings,

    Wim