MD the metaphysics of free-enterprise

From: Mark Steven Heyman (markheyman@infoproconsulting.com)
Date: Sun Jul 11 2004 - 21:59:57 BST

    Hi Dan, David-M, and all,

    >David:
    >
    >I get your drift. The allocation of resources
    >is tricky business. In fact my concern would be
    >less with respect to inequality within our technological
    >societies than with making it possible for people to do things
    >to explore their lives and not be too obsessed with commerce
    >and materialism, such as taking off on a bike trip. Wealthy
    >kids seem to get lots of chances to play at life, poor kids
    >have far fewer choices.

    On 11 Jul 2004 at 11:57, Dan Glover wrote:
    If only I had been born rich instead of handsome who knows what I
    could have done with my life. But I guess we all have to play the
    hand dealt us. RMP wrote of his time at Blake and it struck a chord
    with me. While the rich kids were riding to school in their limos and
    dreaming of being doctors and lawyers I was out in the field picking
    asparagus so I could buy some decent clothes. Things haven't changed
    much. Sometimes I feel like I'm still out there in that field,
    walking up and down the endless rows. I remember the early morning
    rain on the roof meant I could sleep in. That's my only solace.

    msh says:
    This is a beautiful paragraph, Dan, as were those you wrote earlier,
    about the never-failing light bulb. I enjoyed them very much.

    But you're position seems to be that things are the way they are, and
    there's nothing we can do about it. You now, if you're born rich,
    good for you; if not, tough. I realize that this is all related to
    the "suffering is illusion" ideas of Eastern Philosophy, and maybe
    it's correct. But if it isn't, and suffering is real, and we CAN
    help alleviate it, no matter how little, then aren't we morally
    obligated to try? Even if our attempts are futile, or are pre-
    determined and therefore illusory choices, what harm comes from
    trying?

    Best to all,
    Mark Steven Heyman (msh)
    --
    InfoPro Consulting - The Professional Information Processors
    Custom Software Solutions for Windows, PDAs, and the Web Since 1983

    "Thought is only a flash between two long nights, but this flash is
    everything." -- Henri Poincare'